Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Where God leads you...

It's funny where God leads you.  Brian and I are still waiting for some children.  I had another call but had to turn it down. To get the ball rolling, we decided to offer to provide respite care.  Respite care is where a foster family can bring over their foster child(ren) for a night, a few days, or a week.  Respite is a valuable resource to foster families because sometimes they cannot take foster child(ren) with them.  Respite would be used if foster family was going to a funeral or vacation (and the child was too fragile to take), having surgery, or just need a break.  (Because don't all parents need a break!?)  As soon as I sent the email, my caseworker, Carrie, wanted to meet the next week.  (Which is today)  I had a bunch of questions anyways about fostering so it worked out. Unfortunally, Brian couldn't be there because he had school.  It turns out our foster/adoptive friends, C and M, asked Carrie (we share the same caseworker) if we would be willing to do respite for them! How exciting! Their newest addition, who I've nicknamed Sweety Pie, is severly medically fragile and would need a higher level of care.  I spent a few hours going over all I would need to do to care for this sweet child.  I instantly fell in love with him.  I admit that I was nervous with all I would have to do to care for him, but after a few hours I am starting to fell more comfortable. Of course, Brian and I will have to do many more visits so he gets use to us and we get use to his routine.  We are going back Monday morning (no school!) so that Brian can meet him and we can both see his morning routine. After working with him, we will definitely be able take children with higher level of care.  And we are looking forward to when C and M will need us.

No comments:

Post a Comment