Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We're up for interview!!!!

Some weeks my phone rings almost everyday. Other weeks I hear nothing.  I keep recieving phone calls and I keep saying yes, but alas, no children.  I did get a call last week for a preadoptive placement of 4 under the age of 5 that needed a home the next day and we were chosen! HOWEVER, when I ripped the scab off my eye that morning, I knew that was a bad omen. As I lay there in unimageable pain, I got the call that put that same pain in my heart.  The children would not be coming; a family member had stepped up.

We're beginning to lose hope. We talked about calling the supervisor in mid-June if we don't have any placements and leaving the agency if we don't any placements by August.  It both pains and angers me to see ads in the paper looking for foster care. We're right here! It's frustrating to want to help and nobody wants you.

On Tuesday, I was feeling particially sorry for myself when I got a call from the agency.  It was for a girl who needs a kidney transplant, which her birthmom is willing to do.  Couldn't exactally figure out why she was being removed from the home but we said yes. She might come up for adoption too. Again, not sure what is going on. I must be missing something. The girl is 7 years old and is going to a local children hospital. Being in the medical field gave our family the edge.  Right now she is in the hospital getting stablized due to some issues that happened in the home. When she gets stablized, if she still needs to be in care, then we are first pick. I admit that I was scared senseless when I got this call.  It's becoming more real now. It's a BIG commitment and one that I don't take lightly.

My phone rang an hour lately and my AW asked me if I was standing.  She told me to sit down. Oh not more bad news, please! We were chosen!!! We were one of three familes chosen to go for an interview for the 5 yr girl who sounds like Mirabel...strong-willed and all!  Out of hundreds of profiles only three were chosen and we were one of them! My head was spinning. We met up later at the local DQ and went over her profile.  Brian is super excited! We both know that it will be a long road to recovery and it will take time, but it will be worth it. I'm putting the finishing touches on my scrapbook and my AW, who is fantastic, is helping me to put together a book of services and things to do in our area.  I'm just waiting for the 5yrs girl's caseworker to call me so we can set up an interview in two weeks.  Our AW will be there with us so that makes us feel a whole lot better.  I'm actually pretty calm about the whole thing. Something feels different about this one. I am at peace and feel no worry or anxiety about going to the interview.

Oh and her if we adopt her she will have the name of one of Brian's cousin...how cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment